What do we do?
The Schools Co-operative Society is the organisation that supports Co-operative Schools and other educational co-operatives. We are a federal or secondary co-operative. This means that we are 'owned' by the indivdual co-operative schools and trusts within the co-operative school sector. We help to co-ordinate the sector with our other partners within the co-operative movement.
If you want to find out more about membership of SCS please go to our membership section
Why would my school join SCS?
By joining the Schools Co-operative Society you become part of a rapidly growing network of co-operative schools and other educational co-operatives. Our aim as a network is to work together to become a strong force within education and to support each other.
We offer a range of services and support for our members.
What is our network like?
Our members range from small infant schools to large secondary schools and cover a range of backgrounds including rural settings and inner cities. Our schools cover the whole country with numbers expanding rapidly.
The Schools Co-operative Society has been created to co-ordinate this network and to provide the valuable range of support, encouragement and services indivdual schools will need.
Although we are a network we are also unique.
- We offer a genuine bottom up approach and voice for our schools through our democratic structure.
- We are based on a set of international values which have been proved to have had a significant influence on millions of lives.
- We are not a massive chain of identical schools - we celebrate the individual character and strength of our hundreds of schools
- We are firmly based in the needs of the local community
- We guarantee a voice for all those vital stakeholders who are essential to good schools and education. (Parents, Learners, Staff, the Community )
Just as Co-operatives in other fields offer an alternative way of running a business, educational co-operatives offer an alternative way of educating our young people.